Action for Health Uganda (A4HU), together with Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW), and in partnership with Capital Solutions Ltd (CSL) is seeking applications from twelve social entrepreneurs (aged 18-30) who are ready to be part of a women accelerator program in growing and scaling their business start-up ideas in addressing societal challenges relating to family planning and sexual and reproductive health (FP/SRHR) in Uganda. This Programme will work under the banner POWER (Providing Opportunities for Women in Entrepreneurship and Reproductive Health).
While participating in the six-month program accelerator, participating startups will receive access to a streamlined curriculum for growth designed by experts, bespoke executive coaching and mentorship, access to an extensive network of partners. The Programme is designed to provide training, capacity development, investment readiness, and mentorship towards nurturing ideas in, for example, sexual education, menstrual hygiene, contraception awareness, health referrals, product development, etc. Although open to all related ideas (with preference for those with a digital technology element), all solutions must be centered around expanding access to and demand for FP products and/or services, or that work to improve the SRHR environment in Uganda. Three (3) of the winning startups at the end of the program will be awarded 500EUR each to help uplift off their startup innovative. And these will be announced at the Demo day scheduled at the end of the Programme. Upon graduation from the accelerator, all startups will remain part of an alumni network.
This program has been designed for young Ugandan women entrepreneurs by expert Ugandans who understand the local context and who have wide experience in accelerator programming.
Who Should Apply?
Women (aged 18-30) who are:
- Founders of startup business enterprises or those in advanced stages of starting a social enterprise are encouraged to apply
- Citizens of Uganda, currently living in Uganda
- Comfortable with using digital tools
- Proficient in verbal and written English
- Able to regularly (at least weekly) access the internet through a computer or smartphone
- Visionary and dynamic, with a clear and unwavering focus on success for their startup.
- Passionate and committed to creating change and positively influencing lives.
- Good public speakers, familiar with social media and comfortable about promoting their startup online.
- Willing to be part of a six-month long learning experience and mentorship journey.
What to Expect
This program will be challenging and time intensive. Participants should expect to:
- Participate in one online activity/training every two weeks throughout the program, including 60-minute Zoom-enabled meetings.
- Be willing to work through the month on the assignments given and submit before the next month
- Field visits for learning from experienced SRHR entrepreneurs
- Be challenged but inspired as they acquire new skills and knowledge.
- Develop innovative skills, build their peer network, and transform their startups.
- Be introduced to a peer group, and actively contribute to group discussions and activities.
- Respond to surveys to improve the overall experience of the program.
- Attend a 2-day in-person training for 6 months at the DSW training hub.
- Participate in mentorship program and investment readiness trainings i.e. 1-day a month
- Be part of the learning
- Showcase your startup initiative at a special Demo Day to a wide audience of peers, partners, funders, media and influencers.
- Be able to utilize social media channels to promote their business ideas and progress.
How You Will Benefit
- Connect with the first ever social business network and Alumni network in Uganda
- Acquire skills in strategy needed to grow and scale their enterprise
- Have access to an advanced set of soft skills, business resilience, self-confidence, collaboration& partnership development and cross-cultural communications.
- Engage in investment pitching activities with Strategic Gender Based Investors.
The Accelerator program has been designed to help you grow and develop your ideas in a safe, conducive environment with other female entrepreneurs. Startups like yours will form part of a growing local entrepreneurship community that will help inspire other young women to follow their dreams too.
Send your application letter, Pitch/Presentation of the Start-up telling the story of the candidate and the idea, Resume and Motivation Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
This Cohort will run from August 2022 to February 2023. This training will be largely in-person, however, given the ongoing impact and uncertainties of COVID-19, we may incorporate online trainings as need arises.